Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Wine Appreciation Class II

photo by svanes
I was an excellent student and didn’t ditch my second Introduction to Wine Appreciation class.
The whole thing is sort of a Friday happy hour held in an academic setting - industrial carpet and dry-erase boards. Wine and marker huffing!

The second class was devoted to discussing and sampling red wines. I enjoy both white and red wines. My only problem with red wines is that many make me horribly sleepy and some give me headaches. I haven’t figured out which ones to stay away from.

We tasted six wines made from different grape varieties, starting from the lightest to the heaviest: gamay, pinot noir, tempranillo, sangiovese and canaiolo blend, and a shiraz.

2004 Domaine de la Madone Beaujolais – France
2004 Castle Rock Pinot Noir – California
2000 Lan Rioja Crianza – Spain

2003 Renzo Masi Chianti Rufina – Italy
2001 Heritage Road Shiraz – Australia

I was expecting to walk out finding at least one love, but I didn’t. The Beaujolais was a little too sweet. I also did not care for the Chianti, which contains sangiovese. I’ve tried other sangioveses, and I just don’t care for that grape - perhaps because of its high acidity and bitterness.

I was not disappointed, though. I would purchase the other four wines, especially since most cost less than $12.

Favorite Experience – Smelling and tasting. The wine selection evoked sweet grape juice, nutmeg, almond, vanilla, coconut, chocolate, caramel, prunes, and hazelnut – not all in one wine.

Favorite Wine of the Night Lan Rioja Crianza – Made from the low-acid tempranillo grape, this wine tasted of vanilla, chocolate and coconut.

New Vocabulary Word – The small space of air in a wine bottle is called ullage.

No comments:

Post a Comment