Sunday, October 1, 2006

Raisin Kugel

I bring you the kugel – something I’m unfamiliar with. My first and only kugel was from the Famous Fourth Street Deli in Philadephia about a year ago. As far as I can tell, kugel is Yiddish/Jewish for casserole, but not just any casserole! Kugels can be sweet or savory. Kugels can be made from noodles, farfel, potatoes, or matzo.

At the beginning of the week I experimented in making a savory kugel with noodles, mushrooms, and leeks. After proudly presenting these to the boy, he said that this wasn’t right. His exact words were, “They’re OK. I can tell you made them.” Well! You could eat my fist instead!

He prefers the sweet kugels and said that savory kugels are usually made with farfel or potatoes. I guess you shouldn’t mess with tradition. I think sweet kugels taste like dessert, but they’re usually eaten as part of the main meal. I grew up eating sweet potato soufflé (essentially sweet potato pie without a crust) during the main meal, so have no space to balk.

Raisin Kugel


16 ounce package wide egg noodles
12 ounces sour cream (reduced fat works, too)
12 ounces small curd cottage cheese (reduced fat works, too)
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup raisins
2 cups corn flakes, coarsely crushed
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted

  • Cook noodles and drain.
  • Combine sour cream, cottage cheese, eggs, sugar, and raisins in a large bowl.
  • Add cooked noodles to wet mixture in bowl and coat noodles thoroughly
  • Combine corn flakes, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
  • Drizzle melted butter on corn flake mixture and combine.
  • Place noodle mixture in a greased 13x9x2-inch pan. Top with cornflake mixture.
  • Bake for 1 hour in a preheated 350 degree oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment