Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cranberry K-nowledge

Photo by bcmom
Teacher
- Raise your hand if you can tell me which US state produces the most cranberries.
Me
- Ooh, ooh, me, me! New Jersey!
Teacher
- Sorry, that’s incorrect. Can you name another state?
Me
- Ummm. I give up.

This is the only season when fresh cranberries are readily available in the stores. Did you ever stop to think where they come from? When a friend brought me back a gift of cranberry confections from Oregon today, I exclaimed, “Who Knew!” I’m certain I would have known that cranberries grow in Oregon if I had grown up in the Northwest. Gawd, I hate failing tests.

Oregon’s not at the top of the list, though. Wisconsin blows everyone out of the water.

NASS 2006 forcasted cranberry production in barrels.

  1. Wisconsin -3,750,000
  2. Massachusetts - 1,750,000
  3. New Jersey - 490,000
  4. Oregon - 485,000
  5. Washington - 160,000
Ocean Spray’s live bog cam. Don’t fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment