Thursday, August 11, 2011

How I Used My CSA: Week 13

Week 13: corn, grape tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, red tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, okra, and red potatoes.



That bounty from our Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA sure looks like summer to me! We swapped out a bunch of fennel leaf (the boy is not fond of the fronds) and onions (had some) for heirloom tomatoes (can't get enough) and an extra bag of okra (lord, I love okra!).



Huh, looking at the pictures I took, it seems that all we ate this week was tomatoes.

We tried this tomato and grilled eggplant salad from The New York Times (it was good), and threw it on top of spaghetti squash that our friend grew.

Tomato and Mozzarella salad. Again.My most favorite okra dish: stewed okra and tomatoes. I didn't bother roasting the tomatoes as I did in the recipe I posted here, and it was just as good.

Heirloom tomato, Mozzarella, and basil on an onion roll from Famous 4th Street Deli.



This is the third time we've gotten corn in our CSA, and each time the corn has been dreadful. After cooking up the corn to eat on the cob, I was unwilling to suffer through more than two bites of starchy, flavorless corn. Not one to waste, I made a chilled corn soup the next day with the remaining corn (including my cob with two missing bites). It's amazing how you can make any vegetable (including those that aren't so tasty) into an amazing pureed soup with just caramelized onions and stock.



We have quite the pile of potatoes in the fridge (three share's worth),but I plan on taking them with us to the beach in a few weeks. And, gah, I meant to make a jar of pickles with those cucumbers, but haven't found the time.



How did you use your CSA or farmers' market haul?



No comments:

Post a Comment