Thursday, September 14, 2006

Chermoula Butter

Summer’s almost outta here and I’m shedding a tear. I love the heat and hate the cold. My fingers, toes, nose, and ass? get cold the second the thermometer hits 74º. I sniffle non-stop until next spring. I’m an annoying, whining, sniffling ice cube for six months straight. I have to listen to annoying, whining, sweating people the other half of the year, so it’s all fair.

With the end of summer I say goodbye to my favorite vegetables. Bye tomato. Bye cucumber. Bye Okra. Bye corn. Bye green beans. Love ya. Miss ya. See you next year.

The peak corn season is past for most of us, but you might still be able to find a few local ears of sweet corn. If you like butter on your corn (I like mine straight-up), here’s a Moroccan influenced chermoula butter to slather it with.

Chermoula Butter


1 stick of butter, softened
1tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
zest and juice of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon paprika
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ cup cilantro, chopped

  • Place softened butter in a bowl and mix the remaining ingredients into the butter.
  • Place butter in a serving bowl or wrap butter in plastic wrap and roll into a log.
  • Chill butter in refrigerator until hardened.
  • Skip the serving bowl and refrigeration if you just can’t be bothered about presentation and are ready to eat that corn right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment