Sunday, September 9, 2007

Greenfest Needs Food

Finally. A good use for monster zucchini.

OK. Could all of you event planners get together and coordinate your festivals, openings, shows, events, picnics, garage sales, etc. so they don’t happen on the same weekend in September. There’s nothing to do all summer long, and then, bam!, there are ten festivals and events in one weekend. I’d love to drop by all your events, but if you put them on the same weekend, it’s physically impossible.

I did drop by Greenfest Philly this Sunday to see how Philly is greening and preening, and picked up lots of fliers. I also went to the event with the intent of picking up lunch from some veggie/green friendly vendor.

The only – only – food stand was Cosmic Catering, a local caterer that used fresh, local ingredients. I could have ducked into Whole Foods, but decided to give Cosmic Catering a go, since they bothered to represent.

The tofu veggie burger had plenty of vegetables incorporated in the patty, but squished out the back side of the bun when bitten into. I think if they weren't so swamped and had more time to cook the burger, the patty would have set up a little better. No condiments were offered. Boo.

The veggie wrap had plenty of veggie variety – broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, mushrooms, onions, carrots, and probably something else – but the herbed tortilla wrap is a pet peeve of mine and a no-no; the herbs in the wrap always overpower what it’s holding.

I appreciate Cosmic Catering's presence and the fact that they had two solid veggie offerings, though.

Free food – and pictures of small rodents stuffing their face – makes everyone happy. The chocolate coffee Larabar was my favorite flavor from their line.

Some what timely, as I just decided to eat oatmeal for breakfast (I'm a cereal person, but sporadically go on oatmeal kicks) were the Quaker Oatmeal freebies.

The best score of the day was the Whole Foods' Scratch -n- Sniff stickers. (If only I were going back to school, and had a note book to sticker.) I wasn’t sure if I should inhale popcorn smell after the media popcorn lung scare this week. And I was a little scared to smell the hot dog, but thankfully it didn’t smell like much more than ink and paper. Ice cream sundae and strawberries – sniff-tastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment