Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hood Small Curd Cottage Cheese With Pineapple


I've always had a thing for salad bar cottage cheese. I remember there was a time when I was on a sixth grade field trip, and there was a salad bar at lunch, but sans salad dressing. Therefore, as a (rather un-thought out) solution, I just piled on a tower of cottage cheese as compensation. And it worked.

I've been on the lookout for healthy and filling snacks, and cottage cheese is infamous for being healthy and filling, so I decided to give it a try...went down to Big-Y yesterday and picked up four kinds of Hood cottage cheese available...regular, country style, chive, and pineapple.

This particular cottage cheese boasts 130 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 20 mg of cholesterol, 320 mg of sodium, 15 grams of sugar, and 10 grams of protein per serving (113 g). It's somewhat unimpressive considering the high and mighty health food pedestal that cottage cheese is often placed upon, but it's probably better for you than a sack of potato chips or something. Really not impressed with the amount of sodium, but regardless...

Now, I had read from several online forums that many people preferred their cottage cheese with fruit, especially pineapple. I've never been able to understand that--for me, cottage cheese has always been associated with romaine lettuce and fluorescent salad bar lighting. But considering the high volume of pro-pineapple propagators, I decided to give it a try.

I don't know if it was just me or if it was just Hood, but I was unimpressed. The cottage cheese part tasted...well, like cottage cheese. It was a little more watery and crumbly than I would've liked, even for small curd cottage cheese. But nonetheless, the cottage cheese itself was tolerable.

The pineapple, however, was not. Now granted, this is Hood, and if they ever mass produce pineapples, that's probably what they used in this cottage cheese. There were little bits of pineapple fibers scattered around the cup (rather evenly, which was interesting), but the cottage cheese just had a weird pineapply feel to it. I didn't really like it, personally....I got the vibe that Hood decided to throw in some leftover bits of pineapple and squirt in some pineapple juice concentrate into every cup before packaging. Not that the pineapple tasted fake or anything....but just slightly suspicious.

Or, rather, I'm thinking it could just be me and my distaste for the pineapple-cottage cheese combo. Either way, however, I'm the one writing the review, so...

3/10- UNIMPRESSIVE

I am looking forward to trying the chive flavored cottage cheese tomorrow...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment