Monday, June 1, 2009

Bebe's Biscuits

Update: no longer open.

Finally, a weekend came around after my first encounter with Bebe's Barbecue where Bebe's wasn't closed for a holiday (Mother's Day), wasn't offering a limited menu (Italian Market Festival), or I wasn't out of town (wedding), so this past weekend I got my biscuits!

Bebe's Barbecue only bakes up biscuits on Sunday, making this menu item a little trickier to get than their other rotating menu items (check the large menu on the wall to see what's checked as available for that day). I was pleasantly surprised when they said they had two kinds of biscuits that day -- regular and spicy. Regular being plain ol', cut, round biscuits baked on a tray, and spicy being drop biscuits made with their barbecue spice rub and baked in a cast iron skillet (they pulled the tin foil back from the cast iron skillet to show them to me). One of each, please!

Biscuits come out of the oven at 9 am on Sundays, and it's recommended for optimal eating that you eat them fresh out of the oven. At around noon, Bebe's was a little concerned about the biscuits' quality, so sold them at half price and instructed to stick them in a high oven for five minutes to reheat them before eating. Done and done!The regular biscuit was a little over browned on the top, but was a light, tender biscuit. Not mind blowing, but certainly a worthy biscuit. Don't know for certain, but the biscuit did not taste like it was made with a Southern flour, which is what biscuits need to be made with if striving for a perfect biscuit. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to purchase such flour around here (I've never seen it, so run it up by car when visiting home). The wedge-shaped, spice rub, drop biscuit baked in a cast iron skillet was excellent, and much lighter and tenderer than the regular biscuit (I'm convinced that the more you touch and roll biscuit dough, the tougher the biscuit becomes, and this side by side of a cut biscuit and a drop biscuit helps my theory). And it's barbecue flavored!

I would have never thought to add barbecue spice rub to a biscuit, but it's great. If you like barbecue flavored potato chips (love 'em!), snag one of these if you can. Bebe's says they are experimenting with biscuit flavors -- like spice rub and pepper -- so who knows what kinds of biscuits might show up on Sundays. I'm hoping they keep the spice rub biscuit in the rotationAnd, duh, I picked up some mac and cheese. This serving seemed a little different and creamier than my first try where I declared the mac and cheese as good as my Mom's. This order was warm, verging on hot, as opposed to the first order which was slightly warm, verging on cold, and I think this might have been the difference. Personally, I think Southern-style mac and cheese is a dish best served as a leftover, and better when the dish cools and the cheese firms back up. Note to self and all y'all: let the mac and cheese cool down before eating it.

Bebe's Barbecue
1017 South 9th St., Philadelphia, PA 19147

267-519-8791
Mon, closed
Tues-Sat, 11am-6pm

Sun, 9am-2pm

No comments:

Post a Comment