Thursday, June 10, 2010

Milk Coffee Kit Kat

In every relationship, there's always a hierarchy between partners, an age-old fact that presents itself with the dawn of each day. This has recently come up in my own partnership, and has led me to question all that I know in my day-to-day happenings.

And still, the fact of the matter remains- Keepitcoming Love makes the best morning coffee. I make delicious eggs. Case closed.

It's just how it's always gone. We'll both do breakfast or I'll slip down and whip something up, and she makes the coffee. But sometimes, we'll be sitting in our robes on the chaise lounge, listening to The Zombies on Pandora, and I'll come bounding up like a puppy saying, "Surprise! I made coffee!", and we'll both take a sip and simultaneously wince.

"Did you use the coffee spoon?"
"Yeah."
"Did you use the right ratio?"
"Oh, totally."
"Really?"
"I might have done a little improvising here and there, but it's okay, right?"

She'll take a few sips. I'll shrug and say something about how nice the weather is and inconspicuously try to mix sriracha into the coffee. It fixes everything, right? And halfway to a terrible, watery grave, we'll look at each other and say, "This coffee is pretty bad." She'll stroke my head and tell me I'll learn- someday. I'll sigh. And she'll pad back to make another pot of coffee. And that's one of many reasons why I love her.

It's how it's always gone. As much as I'd like to wake up earlier than she does and bring her coffee in bed, it's just not a skill I've cultivated yet. Until now. Now, I can bring her this new finding, the milk coffee Kit Kat bar from the Asian grocery, and essentially emulate the idea of coffee in a single serving of a candy bar.Originally, I was convinced this was a tea-flavored Kit Kat, because the package had photographs of cherry blossoms and a cup of something tea colored, so I naturally assumed it was. Not so. When I bit into this bar, I got an intense, dark rush of coffee, like eating a chocolate covered coffee bean. If it weren't for the white chocolate around it, I'd have been turned off to the flavor, as without the extra sugar, it is quite bitter. I'm not sure if the white chocolate is supposed to imitate the milk addition to a cup of coffee, but it certainly sweetens it up and cuts the bitterness.I was surprised at how much I liked this bar, because I'm more inclined towards chocolates with caramel and peanut butter flavors in it, so this was an entirely foreign experience. The size of the bar, a miniature Kit Kat, was perfect. Any larger would have been overkill. The wafers in this were crisp and airy, and gave a nice textural depth to the candy. All in all, it provided an accurate coffee experience that I'd be glad to serve Keepitcoming in lieu of my strange brew.

No comments:

Post a Comment