Friday, January 28, 2011

The Blogiversaries Just Keep Coming

Holy moly, it's the end of January, and that means I'm entering my sixth year of food blogging! I just won't die.

I'm not dead yet, but, if you haven't noticed, I've been ramping down over the past couple of years. Posts are down about half from my height of an average of 13 posts per month in 2008, and I'm just fine with that. I'm enjoying the more chill schedule and reduced calories.

Before we get on with the yearly recap, I'd like to give a big thank you to all the old timers and new comers who read and comment. You're awesome!

Favorite Posts
I just love doing side-by-side taste tests, especially of sweets (see here, here and here), so sampling the Momofuku Milk Bar Cookies available at Green Aisle was pure pleasure. I also love, love, love cafeterias, and the Mitsitam Café at the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian in DC is one of the best. Y'all probably don't give a poopstick about the newly opened Groucho's in Newark, DE, but their sandwiches and special sauce taste like home to me.

Best Restaurants
What Koo Zee Doo and Kanella both have in common — and what makes them uncommonly good — is that they're doing down-home ethnic foods (Portuguese and Cypriot, respectively) so simply and tastefully. And, Blackbird Pizzeria is killing it on the vegan front. Even omnivores love Blackbird, and if they don't, they're just macho prickish snobs.

Best Restaurant DishesThe sesame cold noodles at Han Dynasty are so simple, but big on flavor — easily, my favorite dish of the year. The vegetable board at Kraftwork is a veggie-lover's delight. Blackbird's seitan cheesesteak trumps all veggie cheesesteaks.

Favorite RecipesI'm a fruitcake lover, and these fruitcake cookies are just spectacular. And, there's just something so satisfying about the crackly and chewy texture of these gluten-free double chocolate cashew cookies. I updated my tomato pie recipe, and if you don't like it then you obviously hate the flavors of summer, and probably life in general.

Most Popular PostsNothing I ever write will get more page hits than the vegan red velvet cupcake recipe from 2008 that still racks up the hits, but the most popular posts written in 2010 were for restaurants (it's usually the recipes that get the most hits, but, in 2010, I completely gave up on being rejected 9 out of 10 times over at Tastespotting). Cracker Barrel comes in first place. Elevation Burger takes second place. I guess if you want hits, write about chains. And, Blackbird Pizzeria takes third. Yay, Blackbird!

Bargains Abound
OK, for $2 you can get a kilo of fresh-made tortillas (about 32) from Tortillaria y San Roman in the Italian Market. Head over to Viet Tofu on Washington Ave. for a huge $1 block of tofu. Then hit up Yummy Yummy for a couple of ball waffles for $4. So, for a grand total of $7, you can have a mondo tofu taco party that ends with ball waffle fun.

Vegans Step UpGrindcore House, the all-vegan coffee house that opened up this past year, is not just a godsend to vegans, but to all who live in good-eats deficient Pennsport. When the all-vegan Blackbird Pizzeria took over the spot that once held the part-vegan Gianna's, Blackbird showed everyone how it's done. Like a side of cult and super friendly service with your healthy vegan eats? Then the Loving Hut on South St. is at your service. In addition to vegan personal cheffing, catered meals, and grab-and-go meals at local groceries, Miss Rachel's Pantry now delivers vegan lunches to the downtown crowd on Fridays.


Hey, Blackbird Pizzeria was mentioned an unprecedented four times in my recap. They win!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment