Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lucy's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've seen these around the supermarket in neat little rows around the special dietary needs section. Of course, I took no mind as I was on a higher mission- White Castle sliders and crab cake bite...snack...'wiches. Yeah. The mission happens every Tuesday and if I can't complete it, I go into HUNGER OVERLOAD. So as you can see, these didn't catch my eye until I discovered that they were real cookies. Even better!The cookies are gluten-free. Unfortunately, they're free of everything else as well, flavor included. I can imagine these would be delicious if they were repackaged in matte black with official NASA seals on them because then, I would have expected them to be tasteless and strange. But they're not astronaut food- they're meant to be a source of enjoyment for kids with allergies and women suffering through Weight Watchers.To an average bystander, they look like Chips Ahoy! cookies- a cruel mistake if you happen to bite into one. They're crispy and crunchy and chock full of chocolate chips. But what really throws you for a loop is the flavor. The most prominent taste in this is distinctly soy, and what Keepitcoming says she imagines Soylent Green tastes like. Because I didn't have the stomach to eat more than a bite of these cookies straight up, I decided to play with them and see if there was anything else I could do to make them palatable. I ended up rolling small ice cream balls in some cookie crumbs and then brulleeing it for a few minutes in the broiler.Mixed into ice cream or perhaps made into a pie crust, the nasty plant flavors are certainly cut back, but that also negates the healthful aspect of these. It was a toss up, but I decided that eating them with a little more indulgence beat scarfing four of them for 100 calories any day. I couldn't get past my first. Healthy cookies are all well and good, doc, but if someone has to set your product on fire to render it edible, it probably needs to go back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment