Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How I Used My CSA: Week 5

Week 5: green kale, red kale, shiitake mushrooms, garlic scapes, and scallions.

Gotta admit, this week's haul was the most disappointing of the bunch so far, because, at only 6 items, this was the smallest share so far (a half share at Lancaster Farm Fresh can have any where from 4-9 items); plus I was really hoping to swap out for yellow squash that were supposedly in the swap box, but was not so lucky. I ended up swapping two heads of lettuce (lettuce is still kickin' on our patio) for scallions and an extra bundle of garlic scapes.

We pretty much burned through this week's CSA share with just two dishes.Here's another rendition of the raw kale salad I mentioned last week. We received two bunches of kale, and I made raw kale salad on two separate occasions. I really have no interest right now in eating kale any other way. When I eat a huge bowl of raw kale massaged with vinegar and olive oil my body feels freakin' wonderful. One bundle of garlic scapes was used to make garlic scape pesto. The other bundle of garlic scapes was cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces and grilled along with the shiitake mushrooms and scallions from the CSA share. A yellow zucchini from Dickinson Square Park Farmers' Market was thrown on our handy-dandy grill pan, as well.
The garlic scape pesto and grilled veggies all came together with fresh butter beans from a roadside stand in South Carolina that I've had squirreled away in the freezer, plus pasta and Piave cheese from Claudio's in the Italian Market. The lettuce for the side salad came from my raised bed (yay, me!), and the cucumber came from the Darmo Family Farm stand at Dickinson Square Park Farmers' Market.

Somehow, I just learned that grilled veggies and pasta is one of the boy's favorite summer meals. You might see more of this!

How did you use your CSA or farmers' market haul?

No comments:

Post a Comment