Wednesday, June 29, 2011

How I Used My CSA: Week 6

Week 6: collards, Chioga beets, kale, 2 bunches yellow onions, pea tendrils.

Again, only 6 items in this week's Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA half-share when there can be up to 9 items. You farmers having a hard time? I know there was a late planting start due to all the early spring rain, then a mini-drought and heat wave, so I'm not really busting your balls.

I ended up swapping out a head of lettuce (still have lettuce kicking on the back patio) for an extra bunch of yellow onions, 'cause you can always use onions, and, dang it, I was too slow to swap out for potatoes.
I immediately ran home from picking up the CSA and boiled the beets (too hot to roast, so opted for the quicker boil) to throw on top of a salad that had our homegrown lettuce, CSA pea tendrils, and leftover roasted potatoes from the Italian Market. OMG, beets are so good! You know you can eat the beet greens! I usually don't, but the greens atop the Chioga beets were so pretty and unmarred from pests, I saved them to throw into smoothies. I only do smoothies for breakfast on the weekend (and sometimes still do cereal), because it doesn't matter how many calories you pack in smoothies, they never hold me til lunch when I go to work. This smoothie had bananas, juneberries, cherries, beet greens, flax seeds, bee pollen, and almond milk all blended together.We got a juicer a few weeks ago, and have been busting it out on the weekends. The boy juiced beet greens (along with about 5 other things), which didn't yield a lot of juice, but we're still in the experimental stage with our juicer, so had to try it. Best to save your greens for smoothies or cooking!
Hey, look! It's another raw kale salad. This time with mangoes and pepitas.
I took two collard leaves and used them to make wraps stuffed with leftover couscous salad, and leftover mangoes. Collard leaves make great low-carb wraps, but, of course, it's not low-carb if you stuff your wrap with couscous! I would pass out if I ate low-carb. Just not gonna happen.
Well, that collard wrap used 2 of the ten leaves in the bunch. I was eating solo for most of this week and needed to get through the veggies much faster, so turned to my favorite way to eat collards - Southern-style. I also used some of the CSA onions, which were so mild and sweet, in these collards. Onions were used here and there, but not in any grand way.

How did you use your CSA or farmers' market haul?

No comments:

Post a Comment