Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Goat Cheese Cornbread Balls

Hypocrisy! I believe we've met. Specifically, the time when I backhandedly insulted cake balls for being little more than a trendy fad. What I didn't count on was loving them. And needing to make them. I still don't see a point in baking cakes for the sole purpose of rehydrating them in ball form, but you tell me what to do with two-thirds of a leftover pan of cornbread, a log of goat cheese, and a three inch-tall bit of salsa left in the jar. Sigh. It's like Chopped for sad bachelors.
Well, long story short, I gussied up my ill-fated flirt with Larry the Cable Guy's muffin mix and turned it into these pumpkin goat cheese cornbread balls. I made them under the guise of pretending to throw a big, impromptu party for all my fabulous associates and dearest friends. In reality, I chilled them and ate them for dinner. They were delicious. They used up all my leftovers. And they are a bite-sized, handheld alternative to brie rings or cheese loaves or crab dip for your (actual) shindigs.
The steps were similar to making the cake balls, substituting cornbread (I had some made from a mix, but you could make it homemade if you wanted to) for cake and goat cheese and salsa for frosting. The outside was a lime-chili spice mixture, and I dipped them in the best jalapeno dip known to man, Dr. Gonzo's Jalapenomash. I encourage you to order it in bulk or use whatever your favorite it- but please make sure it's green. My Jewish family members will thank you and your holiday tablescape will be just as ornate as Sandra Lee's.
Step 1. Mash the cornbread with the salsa and goat cheese.
Step 2. Roll the balls in the spices.
Step 3. ????
Step 4. PROFIT

Pumpkin Goat Cheese Cornbread Balls (makes thirty)
Ingredients
1 loaf of cornbread (packaged or homemade)
1 8 oz. log of goat cheese
1/2 cup of chunky salsa (I used pumpkin salsa, but any type would work)
1/4 cup of chili-lime seasoning for rolling
Salsa to dip in

1. Bake your cornbread. When it is cooled, crumble with hands or a fork until fine.
2. Mix in salsa and goat cheese until it resembles a loose, crumbly dough.
3. Roll into small balls and roll in the chili-lime seasoning.
4. Chill for one to six hours and serve with salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment