Monday, January 22, 2007

I Love You, Pumpkin

I love pumpkin browsing in the fall - going to markets to ogle, point, and ooh and ahh over the many varieties of pumpkins. There are teeny-tiny pumpkins, red pumpkins, white pumpkins, warty pumpkins, speckled pumpkins, round pumpkins, long pumpkins, crook-necked pumpkins…well, some of these are technically gourds and squash, but all are in the cucurbit family.


I have a dream…of one day growing a record-breaking pumpkin. Ok, it doesn’t have to win a prize at the state fair, but nursing a pumpkin to obesity is on my to-do list. I currently don’t have the room or sunlight where I live to realize this dream. One day.

At Halloween, I can’t bring myself to carve my pumpkins; they’ll collapse within days to a mushy, stinky pile. I prefer to keep my orange orbs around as long as possible. Others ditch the pumpkin as soon as the holiday is over. One year I drove around on trash day and collected a trunk load of uncarved pumpkins that were kicked to the curb. That was a good year.

So, why am I writing about my love of pumpkins now? I just sacrificed the sugar pumpkin that has cheerily been sitting on my kitchen table since October to make pumpkin soup. The soup was good, but I appreciate the beauty of the pumpkin much more than its flavor. It’s going to be many months before I get to fawn over pumpkins again. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment