Monday, January 8, 2007

Fig Pizza Gone Bad

One of the reason’s I started this blog was to write restaurant reviews. I felt that restaurant reviewers rarely address vegetarian options at restaurants. You always read about how refreshing the shrimp appetizer is, or how succulent the steak is. This info is not relevant to me. I read entire reviews listing six or ten items from a menu, none of which I can eat. I’d like to know if there is anything I can eat?

I also felt that restaurant reviewers were too nice and lenient in their reviews. I’ve read more glowing reviews than glowing experience I’ve personally had. I wanted to tell it how I see it - Don’t we all? Though, I found that bad food and unpleasant restaurant experiences left me uninspired to write reviews. If the food was bad, I didn’t feel the restaurant deserved my time and recognition. I also thought I would enjoy criticizing and revealing unsavory food and establishments. It turns out I don’t. I’d prefer to be nice. I’d rather let you know about great places. So, most unpleasant dining experiences go undocumented. Not this time! I cannot help but write an addendum to a previous restaurant review.Picture of Bad Pizza.

My one experience at Toscana Kitchen and Bar was fairly pleasant, but I really didn’t see myself frequenting the restaurant again. The restaurant does offer an odd, but intriguing pizza of fig puree, honey, and gorgonzola. Since our normal pizza take-out joint liberated our two favorite toppings from the menu – portabella mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes – we decided to order Toscana’s fig pizza for take-out.

We ordered the pizza with explicit instructions to leave off the prosciutto. Of course, you know the following part of this story...we get home to find prosciutto on the pizza. This is a common occurrence, but it always angers me. I’m not one to pick off meat and eat food. I usually throw the food away, and am then out the time and money. There wasn’t a lot of prosciutto on the pizza anyway, and we couldn’t be bothered to drive back and wait another twenty minutes for the pizza, so we decided to pick the meat off.

After the initial disappointment of finding prosciutto on our pizza, we realized that the pizza looked nothing like the one I had before when I dined in the restaurant. (Check out the photo evidence from the previous review.)The in-house version was smothered in cheese with pockets of fig puree atop the pizza. The take-out version was smeared entirely with fig puree with a few crumbles of gorgonzola sprinkled in the center of the pizza. Upon biting into the pizza, we noticed the absence of honey, which actually compliments the gorgonzola quite well. To top it off, the pizza was barely cooked and the dough was soggy. Imagine a soggy pizza smeared with fig butter or jam, and that is essentially what we received.

Toscanna’s fig pizza went from being one of the most intriguing pizzas I’ve ever had, to being the most disgusting pizza I've ever had. This just shows how one can take identical ingredients and end up with much different results. A restaurant with good food is only worth going to if they can produce good food consistently. I don’t want to roll the dice and hope for a good night. Unfortunately all bets are off at Toscana. I’m not playing that game again.

Toscana Kitchen and Bar, 1412 N. DuPont St., Wilmington, DE, 19806, 302-654-8001
Lunch: Mon.-Fri. 11:30a.m-2p.m., Dinner: Mon.-Wed. 5p.m.-10p.m., Thurs.-Sat. 5p.m.-11p.m., Sun. 5p.m.-9p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment