Monday, January 29, 2007

Vegetarian Philly Cheesesteak

Here I go with another sampling of Philly’s contribution to the sandwich world – the cheesesteak. I do it meatless, though, ‘cause I swing like that.

All of the veggie Cheesesteaks I’ve eaten have either been made with tvp or seitan. I’ve never had or even thought of making a Cheesesteak with portobello mushrooms, but why not? They have a meaty and hearty texture, and are commonly substituted for ground beef burgers.

The veggie cheese cteak at Washington Street Ale House, an American pub-food restaurant in Wilmington, Delaware, uses portobello mushrooms along with Swiss cheese, and sautéed onions, and peppers. The smoky, char-grilled mushrooms and veggies make an excellent sandwich, although I’m sure it tastes nothing like a real cheesesteak (thank god). I was quite pleased with the mushroom version of the cheesesteak. I ended up dipping my sandwich in the ketchup I dumped on my plate for the accompanying fries, because all sandwiches need a sauce or a spread. Are you listening to me, great sandwich-maker in the sky?

Wahington Street Ale House, 1206 Washington St., Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone (302)658-2537
11am-1pm daily; Sunday brunch 10am-3pm

No comments:

Post a Comment