Monday, June 11, 2007

Vegetarian Philly Cheesesteak

The last (and only) time I ate at Gianna’s Grille, the punk dive serving meat, vegetarian, and vegan sandwiches and pizzas in the South Street area of Philadelphia, was before I started this blog. Gianna’s Grille was, in fact, my first foray into veggie Philly cheesesteaks. Gianna’s Grill kept popping up in recommendations and searches for vegetarian cheesessteaks, so I took off work one rainy day and drove into Philly with much anticipation to have my first cheesesteak.

Anticipation quickly turned into disgust. The G.G. Special (veggie steak and cheese sandwich) smelled like dog food. I’ve never been back – until a few days ago.

I was told the soy chicken was the way to go. I’m already bastardizing the cheesesteak by subbing soy for meat, so why not bastardize the sandwich further with soy chicken. I ordered the Freebird (veggie chicken and cheese sandwich) with soy cheese and onions. (Order correctly, as the menu and many hand written signs instruct, or else your vegetarian/vegan punk ass ain’t getting’ a refund, yo.)

The Freebird is filled – filled! – with similar soy nuggets as those in the G.G. special, but, thankfully, not seasoned with au de dog food. The soy cheese (specify vegan soy cheese if you’re vegan) acts like a gooey combining agent that keeps all the soy nuggets inside the roll.

Unlike the G.G. Special, I found the Freebird edible. I don’t know if I’d eat it again, though, as the flavor was one dimensional and the sandwich was grossly large – just as I imagine the real thing to be. This sandwich would be great if you were drunk and starving late at night after the bars let out. Gianna’s isn’t open that late, so I don’t see this happening.

Gianna's Grille, 507 S. 6th St., Philadelphia, PA, 19147
Phone: 215-829-4448
Tues.-Thurs, 12PM-8PM; Fri.-Sun., 12PM-9Pm; Mon., closed

No comments:

Post a Comment