Thursday, August 23, 2007

Too Many Tomatoes!

Oye, the tomatoes! In the winter you dream and pray for that mid-summer day when you pick your first tomato. By the end of summer, you’re thinking of hosting your own Tomatina festival.

I don’t think there is a single person who has ever under estimated the amount of tomato seedlings to plant in the spring. Growing tomatoes is sort of like cooking; you always overcompensate and have more than enough. It doesn’t help that your gracious friends over planted tomatoes, too. I swear it was just a few weeks ago that I was groaning about slow tomatoes.

I had the gorgeous array of tomatoes you see above sitting on my kitchen table, so I just accepted my dinner fate – tomatoes with a side of tomatoes. The black cherry tomatoes were grown by a friend, and mouth-popping worthy, so I didn’t dare cook these. Sliced, and tossed with vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, onions, and basil, these tomatoes marinated while I took care of the main course.

These striped tomatoes were also grown by the same gracious friend. Earlier, I had cut into one of these tomatoes to make a sandwich for lunch and discovered that the inside of the tomato was practically empty. Not great for sandwiches. Remembering she had forgotten to tell me about the tomatoes specifically for stuffing, she piped up the next day. Well, all righty! These guys are for stuffing. Stuffed they were – with rice, peppers, olives, onions, and whatever else I had on hand.

Coming soon: Too many Squash!

No comments:

Post a Comment