Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What's For Dinner?

I don’t know about y’all, but this is what dinner has been looking like around here. With all of the fresh, local produce from weekend trips to Headhouse Farmers Market, the yields coming out of our own little urban plot, and baskets of fruit and vegetables from friends with gardens, I’m working overtime just to eat all the fresh food, but I’m not complaining one bit.

I’m not doing anything fancy with the bounty, because it’s all so fresh and tastes so good. I wouldn’t dare think of covering up the flavors with sauces and such; that’s what you do in the winter with grocery store produce. Minimal cooking (if even; it's too hot), and minimal seasoning (salt, pepper, and vinegar) is all I do to prepare the veggies for dinner.

I’m currently trying to eat my way through cabbage (I eat it like candy), corn (try it raw if it’s truly fresh), tomatoes (the king of fresh summer veggies), okra (slime is fun), beets (it does funny things to your poo), cucumbers (slice, add vinegar, and refrigerate), and yellow squash (ok, this one I like to make into a cheesy baked casserole).

No comments:

Post a Comment