Sunday, October 21, 2007

Weekend Field Trip

As far as outdoor weddings go, I think October is one of the best months to hold such an event – mild weather, beautiful foliage, and an abundance of decorations such as gourds, seed heads, and wild flowers straight from nature.

My weekend was spent driving to the currently Technicolor Shenandoah Valley in Virginia to witness two classmates tie the knot at an Arboretum, with a reception following in a beautiful octagonal barn. While wedding are beautiful, but sappy ordeals, this wedding topped my list of favorites thanks to the bride and groom limiting the cheesy music (James Taylor...and that's not even that bad) to the first dance. From there on out, the best cover band ever rocked the barn with songs from artists I actually wanted to dance to – The Psychedelic Furs, Debbie Harry, The Ramones, and The Cure. It was like high school prom – if I had gone and they had played good music.

A most fortuitous stop along the way at a “trading post” with a large tepee out front lead to the purchase of the elusive sorghum syrup – a dark, sweet syrup made from the canes of grass-like sorghum. Tables and stands hocking apples, apple cider, jellies, and canned produce populated the roadsides, but I passed on these as I have a bag of apples already in the fridge and a refrigerator door overflowing with jars of jellies, relishes, and condiments. (One day, I promise to document the craziness that is my fridge door.)

No comments:

Post a Comment