Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pretty, Nasty Eggs

So, I get a handful of pheasant eggs for my birthday from my friend’s farm (maybe it was just a hostess gift; they were just thrust at me near the time of my birthday), and aren’t they pretty! Martha Stewart should create a collection of paints based on the colors of egg shells, but she’s already done that.

Oh, what to do with special eggs? I don’t use a lot of eggs, but when I do I either (1) make them disappear in desserts; (2) make deviled eggs; (3) make egg salad, or (4) make scrambled eggs (occasionally a frittata). That’s about it!

For a little comparison, that big one is a large chicken egg.

I detest runny yolks, so soft boiled eggs, poached eggs, and sunny-side-up eggs are all out. No fried egg on top of my bibimbap, no eggs benedict for breakfast, and never will you see me dipping toast in egg yolk. Blech, blech, puke! Even hard, fully-cooked egg yolk by itself gets the cold shoulder (gotta mix it with mayo and throw it back in the egg).

But I should do something with these pheasant eggs other than just make them disappear into ice cream. How about I quit being a baby and try eating an egg sunny side up, you know, just to test myself and see if I’m a bigger person than I used to be?

How about on a pizza? I know, how gross does that look! But people swear by these egg-topped pizzas (they probably like dipping toast in egg yolk, too).

I was a big girl and tried it. Blech! I found that cooked eggs can be easily peeled off pizza and thrown in the trash.

Should have made pheasant egg salad...but aren’t those eggs pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment