Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Capogiro

For all you local readers, I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say that Capogiro and their artisan gelato is da bomb. This cool customer makes it onto must-try-while-in-Philly lists, and almost every Philly blogger professes their love (there's even a blog devoted solely to Capogiro). But, would ya know, I didn't drink the Kool-Aid until...this past weekend!

This avoidance of Capogiro's traditional Italian gelato flavors like nocciolat piemontese and fior di latte, and their more inventive flavors like tahini and pineapple with sage was on purpose, of course. I've known for years about the greatness of Capogiro, and it's power to draw people in for multiple cups of cream in one day. And that, my friends, is precisely why I've avoided it. Peeps, I don't need to be eatin' no gelato twice, three-times a day.

Without thought or hesitation (nicely buzzed), I walked into Capogiro's 20th St. location this past Friday, breaking my Capogiro ban, and ordered Thai coconut milk and Nutella gelato wedged together in a cup. Rich and smooth, but not waxy, and tasting exactly like what they say they are - Thai coconut milk and Nutella - I was quite the happy girl. Oh, but the dulce de leche gelato sitting next to my partner's cappuccino gelato was so, sooo good.
And back I was on Sunday to Capogiro's other location on 13th St. after checking the flavor-of-the-day list (dangerous) to get a scoop of lime cilantro sorbetto, which I loved, loved, loved. Super tangy and limey with a hint of cilantro, I don't even think a cilantro-hater could hate this. But I did not love the melograno (pomegranate) sorbetto that snuggled my lime cilantro. Melegrano's subtle flavor and sweetness could not stand up to the bold, zingy lime cilantro. Both good, just bad bedfellows.

With 27 flavors made fresh each morning from local ingredients, changing daily and seasonally, I can see why people visit so often - to discover the next best flavor. And if you're not from Philly, you gotta try Capogiro before you leave town. If you see me back in there, though, slap me and tell me to go home.

Capogiro
119 S. 13th St., Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-351-0900
117 S. 20th St., Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-636-9250

No comments:

Post a Comment