Monday, November 10, 2008

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Here's an autumnal recipe for all you people out there gushing about fall foliage (it is beautiful) and sweater weather (I'd rather run around nekkid in the tropics). I was flipping through some recipe books in search for bread recipes (I've vowed to make more bread this season), and landed on these sweet potato biscuits. I like love sweet potatoes, and I like biscuits, so...I made them.With two cups of mashed sweet potatoes in the dough, these biscuits aren't exactly high-risers, but they certainly aren't dense pucks either. And with sugar, cinnamon and allspice in the recipe (I skipped the allspice, since I had none), I'd say these biscuits are a hybrid between biscuits and scones (I even sprinkled sugar on top when I baked them, to make them more scone-like). But the subtle sweetness would not stop me from eating these sweet potato biscuits alongside a savory meal. And, yes, you can taste the sweet potatoes, but, be forewarned, if you smother these biscuits with fruit jam, you'll mask the subtle sweet potato flavor. May I suggest cane syrup or honey slathered on a warm sweet potato biscuit for the autumn hiding behind sweaters...er, hunkering down.Sweet Potato Biscuits
adapted from A Gracious Plenty
makes about 13 large (3-inch) biscuits


3 cups all purpose flour, plus additional for rolling surface
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1/3 cup milk
  • In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, allspice, and cinnamon. Cut in the shortening (I like to use my hands) until it resembles coarse meal. Add the mashed sweet potatoes to the flour mixture (again, hands work really well). Add the milk, and mix until incorporated.
  • Turn dough out on floured surface, and roll to 3/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with biscuit cutter (I used a 3-inch cutter), and place on a greased baking sheet.
  • Bake in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment