Friday, January 16, 2009

BP At The Pig

Now, here's my second favorite find of the trip -- boiled peanut bar in Piggly Wiggly!

I'm not sure if this is a new thing at all the Piggly Wigglys, or just at the Piggly Wiggly on Meeting St. in Charleston that I went into. I usually hit up the Piggly Wiggly on Folly Road on James Island when I'm in Charleston, and I've never seen the boiled peanut bar before. I could have just been oblivious, though.

These hot bowls of boiled peanuts were in the fancy cheese/deli section of the grocery store, with two different sizes of Styrofoam cups to fill up with either original boiled peanuts (in a salt brine) or Cajun boiled peanuts. I got two cups and filled them up with some of both.

I'd like to say that I've never eaten boiled peanuts from the can, but I guess I can't say that anymore, as these boiled peanuts are from Margaret Holmes, a name brand label from the Southern foods cannery McCall Farms in Effingham, South Carolina. All I've got to say is...not bad at all!

I've also only eaten boiled peanuts in their traditional Southern salt brine, but I'm most definitely making some spicy Cajun boiled peanuts the next go round. These things rocked! A nice, gentle kick of heat and depth of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment