Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Charleston Dog

My most exciting find from my trip is probably the most humble -- a hot dog cart serving veggie hot dogs! (I spared you the all-caps, but imagine the last part of the previous sentence was screamed in extreme excitement.)

If you are not familiar with my quest for hot dog street vendors that serve veggie hot dogs, let me refer you to this post. Sure, it's almost too easy to find veggie hot dogs in brick and mortar establishments, but it's a little more difficult (a lot more difficult) to find a veggie hot dog served up from a cart street side. (Don't even talk to me, people in the Northwest and Canada; I don't want to hear about your riches.)

My discovery of Charleston Dog at the corner of George and King Streets along the high end retail tourist drag of King Street in Charleston is only my second happening upon a hot dog cart serving veggie dogs. Technically, Charleston Dog is my first, since the cart in Lawrence, Kansas, served veggie bratwurst.

In talking with the chilaxed dude manning the cart, he told me that he suggested veggie dogs to the boss man because he thought they'd go over well in a liberal (?) town like Charleston. Thank you, guitar-playing, pro-veggie-dog dude! Charleston Dog also has a couple of other carts in town, but I didn't ask about their locations.What rocks even harder than veggie dogs on the street is the fact that you can get a bag of boiled peanuts! Only in South Carolina. And probably only in Charleston.I got my dog with a squirt of ketchup and coleslaw. The sweet, creamy coleslaw doesn't come from a Sysco box, but is made in Charleston Dog's kitchen. Awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment