Monday, March 30, 2009

Fat Lala

Restaurant menu fliers left in the cracks of the door usually go straight to the paper recycle bin, but something very interesting on the backside of Pizzi Pizza's flier caught my eye.

Pizzi Pizza is a South Philly take-out pizzeria that specializes in a laughably large 28-inch pizza. For all I know, their pizza could be good, or it could be crap, but it wasn't the monster pizza that caught my eye. What caught by eye was their other specialty, the Fatty.

The Fatty is basically everything gross, fried, cheesy, and greasy stuffed into a hoagie roll, and there are nine variations of gross you can order. For example, a Fat Bill consists of cheese steak with cheese whiz, eggs, onion rings, and fries...all in a hoagie roll. A Fat Mike stuffs chicken fingers, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, hot sauce, and blue cheese in a roll.

When I spied the Fat Lala, the lone vegetarian Fatty, I knew I had to try one!
The Fat Lala sandwich holds Mozzarella sticks, onion rings, fries, Mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce. It's pretty much death by grease on a roll. After watching the guy behind the counter pull out the frozen components and dunk them in a fryer, I was expecting a puke-worthy sandwich.

The Fat Lala certainly doesn't win any health or beauty contests, but, you know what? It's not all that bad. It's nothing great, either. If I were blindfolded and asked to describe what I was eating, I would have said an eggplant Parmesan sandwich. You've got marinara, cheese, fried breading from the mozzarella sticks and onion rings, and an unidentifiable squishy substance (fries) that act like eggplant.

There you have it! I tried it so you don't have to.

Pizzi Pizza
2654 S. 6th St., Philadelphia, PA 19148
215-465-2377
Mon-Sat, 11am-11pm; Sun, noon-10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment