Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Truth Be Told

Someone made a comment the other day that everything I make looks amazing, and, while I'm flattered, that simply is not true. In fact, it's far from the truth.

Only about 20 percent of the things I make with the intention of sharing on the blog - this means finding time to cook a recipe I think is interesting when I am not so voraciously hungry I can actually make something that requires more than five minutes from start to finish, and, of course, cooking during the day, because I'm no camera wiz so daylight is my friend - actually make it onto the blog.

What happens to the other 80 percent of the things intended for the blog? They're nasty, ugly, mundane, or just simply a disaster and not worth sharing. And, oh, it is heartbreaking how many times I make some recipe, photo documenting the steps, and have it turn out awfully. Kind of like the eggs pickled with beet juice above. I thought, "Oh, these will be so beautiful," and they are, but they fall into the nasty group - vinegar does evil things to the texture of eggs, namely, turns them into rubber.

And then there's all the stuff I make that's not intended for the blog, and, trust me, the cold cereal with rice milk for breakfast and the peanut butter and jelly sandwich or the veggie turkey sandwich for lunch I eat almost ev-er-ree day is not amazing. Neither is that bowl of rice with steamed veggies or that tortilla holding bits of this and that plucked from the fridge that I eat for dinner most nights.

The picture of my foodie life I paint on this blog is all true, but it is most certainly selective. In truth, everything I make is not amazing. I'm a food schlub just like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment