Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Nestle Houjicha KitKat

Houjicha KitKat

Here is another souvenir from Toronto. Because it was a bag full of mini bars, they were a little pricey, but not terrible at about $6 Canadian. Houjicha is a variety of Japanese green tea, but it is roasted over charcoal, giving it a very different taste. I really like houjicha, especially with meals and snacks.

Unfortunately, my bag of KitKats must have seen some heat at some point, because all of the bars were melted. For that reason, I didn't get a picture of the chocolate itself, but from the outside, they looked like normal milk chocolate KitKats.

Houjicha KitKat

The KitKat smelled like milk chocolate with a slightly roasted, almost caramel flavor, but it was not at all overpowering. I broke one in half to smell it, and the flavor was the same, but slightly stronger. The bag said there was houjicha in the cream between the wafers, so that made sense.

I don't know if it's because these were melted, but the flavor was very similar to plain old milk chocolate KitKats. Three out of four people I shared these with thought the same thing. The tea flavor was there, but it was very subtle. When I concentrated, I detected just a tiny bit of bitterness reminiscent of tea. I should also mention that, as with a lot of milk chocolate KitKat variations, the sweetness was at a good level. These KitKats tasted good, but I was hoping for a stronger tea flavor.

B

KitKat Website (Japanese)

No comments:

Post a Comment