Monday, February 8, 2010

Trader Joe's Vegetable Samosas

I love Indian food. Some future Shameless Foodette posts focus on some Indian food exploits that Erik and I made for Sherlock. So when we saw that we had these in the freezer, we thawed them out to try. (Oh, and these were pre-lightbox, so sorry!)

Erik had had them before, and didn't want me to have a biased review, but all he said was, "I think you'll see what I mean when I say that they're interesting." So already, my interest was piqued. An interesting flavor. They're cute little dumplings, much smaller than the traditional anvil of a samosa that I'm used to in a restaurant, but not so dauntingly big that I wouldn't feel comfortable serving them to guests without whacking them up first.
The box said to cook them for ten minutes in a 350 degree oven, but when I went to eat one, it was still cold and stiff, and sparkly inside, much like a vampire's member. Gross, Edward Cullen! Disappointed, I put them back in for another five, and they were fine.

The ingredients listed said that there were the traditional potatoes and peas with the mix of spices- curry, turmeric, cumin, etc, but also had carrots, and that was just strange. Moving on, though, I bit into it, expecting the restaurant quality flavor I got in the normal ones, and got...an Asian inspired amalgam? It was overly spicy, had way too much shredded carrot in it, tons of peas, and only the tiniest speck of potato. What gives, Trader Joe's?
Honestly, they never specified, and maybe I'm egregious in my assumption that "samosas" are traditionally South Asian and mainly Indian, but if I hadn't known that, I would have pegged these for wonton like or Chinese inspired dumplings. Lame, Trader Joe's. Lame, lame, lame. Too spicy, crappy cooking instructions, and crappy vegetable distribution. I spit them out and gave them to Erik, and he threw them out. Inedible is inedible is inedible. It's the first Trader Joe's product that I've been less than satisfied with.

No comments:

Post a Comment