Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Starbucks Bacon and Gouda Artisan Breakfast Sandwich

Starbucks has done it again, rolling out some new sandwiches for breakfast or an early lunch. I went today with my friend, Fantastic, after a book signing with Temple Grandin and grabbed one!

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but in a pinch, my stomach will accept anything. And I was pleasantly surprised when I was handed a molten hot, toasty, and slightly buttery ciabatta roll with the egg, bacon and cheese peeking out of the side. Without even tasting it, Starbucks was ahead of Subway in making their hot sandwiches somewhere above tepid without charring the bread.It smelled really great- bakery fresh, and the ciabatta delivered like Jim Morrison on his first and last appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show- hot, fresh, and it made me (almost) high with that amazing, just baked smell. It was crispy on top and had a wonderfully sour tang to it, but not so much that it overpowered anything else, and it was entirely soft with no crunchy end bits. The whole breadtangle is a 5 x 5 square, and I bet you could make some awesome pixellated art out of them if Starbucks offered a multi-grain ciabatta, but I was here to work, kids, not to play.

The fillings were sublime. The bacon was plentiful- like, at least 3/4 slice's worth per square inch, so about four slices on the whole thing, enough to get a good mouthful in a bite, and the Gouda was a brilliant move. It was very gooey and very aromatic within the sandwich and made delicious, cheesy strands when I took a bite. I think the "parmesan frittata" is a little self-aggrandizing, Starbucks. I mean, really? Frittata? It's a scrambled egg square. We all had it in middle school. Still, though, it was better than any scrambled eggttata I've ever had from a national chain, plopped down in that generic circular shape. It was fluffy and integrated the parmesan really well.

I want another one. And you know what that means. Yes, Starbucks, you've done something right.

Oh, and that on the right is my own personal creation- my signature Grande iced Chai with chocolate syrup. What do you like to drink at Starbucks?

No comments:

Post a Comment