Thursday, July 21, 2011

How I Used My CSA: Week 10

Week 10: 2 bunches of Bulls Blood beets, Red Gold potatoes, sweet corn, green bell peppers, carrots, green beans.

Swapped out onions and cabbage (had some of both already at home) for bell peppers (had a plan for these) and an extra bunch of beets (beets are like gold in our house) from this week's Lancaster Farm Fresh half share.
The green bell peppers went into a large batch of peach salsa that I canned over the weekend. I also used three pounds of onions from previous weeks' CSA shares in the salsa.
I kinda went peach crazy last week and made peach jam, as well as peach upside down cake. While the cake was baking, I went ahead and tossed the beets in the oven to roast, in an attempt to kill two birds with one stone and not heat up my already 90-degree house even further on, yet, another night. The beets were peeled, chopped, tossed with oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, then left to chill in the fridge overnight. Perfect the next day!
A couple of beets were thrown in the juicer along with a pineapple, oranges, and apples, giving our fresh juice a lovely, bright pink color.
Decided to try a miso potato salad recipe I saw on the kitchn, because, hey, I had both potatoes and beans in my share. I didn't follow the recipe exactly (used nonfat Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt, and omitted the oil), and it was kinda weird. The miso wasn't weird, but nonfat Greek yogurt coated on starchy potatoes gets sort of pasty and ugly. Next time, I'd (maybe) follow the recipe. You know you have a really great, fresh, sweet cob of corn when you can eat it straight without even cooking it. I tried that with one of the cobs of corn immediately upon getting home with my share (corn's sugars quickly turn to starch upon picking, so freshness in of the utmost importance, not to mention that some varieties of corn are just sweeter), but this corn was not quite that sweet. Not bad, just not exceptional enough to warrant eating it raw. So, it was cooked and combined with the rest of the green beans from the CSA, cherry tomatoes and cilantro from the market, and jalapeno infused olive oil.

No picture, but carrots were used as a vehicle for hummus on an early evening snack plate of cheese, pickles, pita, and vegetables.

How did you use your CSA or farmers' market haul?

No comments:

Post a Comment