Friday, July 8, 2011

Pitting Cherries with a Pastry Tip


I'm making cherry jam this weekend, thanks to Whole Foods having a one-day-only sale on organic sweet cherries today. After I got home with 8 pounds of cherries, I wanted to prep them by getting the pits out, but was sort of dreading the pitting since I don't have a cherry pitter.

In the past I've never tackled so many cherries at once, so just dug into the flesh with a pairing knife if I needed pit-less cherries. This pairing knife technique didn't sound so appealing with such a large quantity. Then I remembered hearing about a technique using a pastry tip to pit cherries. I have pastry tips!

I know what you're thinking, "If I don't have a cherry pitter, I probably don't have a pastry tip, either." There are various other techniques for pitting a cherry, so be sure to check them out, as well as the quick clip* above of me pitting with a pastry tip.

*Shot impromptu with my phone. Sorry for the quality, or lack thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment