Thursday, July 28, 2011

How I Used My CSA: Week 11

Week 11: corn, Yukon Gold potatoes, red cabbage, red onions, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, tomatoes.

Since I like all vegetables, my swapping with the Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA is either because 1) I already have some of the same at home, 2) I have a plan for the vegetables, or 3) I'm swapping "up" to something more desirable. I wanted to swap "up" for okra, but, jeez louise, the okra pods were the largest I've ever seen, and okra is NOT good when it's large. So, I swapped out one cucumber (had some at home) for extra tomatoes.
CSA zucchini and onions were grilled along with eggplant from our garden, then tossed with pasta, CSA tomatoes, and basil from our garden. Tomatoes also made an appearance on a BBT sandwich — bacon, basil, and tomato.
A big vat of coleslaw was made, and has been finding it's way on most dinner plates. Here it's snuggled in some Tortilleria y San Roman corn tortillas ($2 for a kilo!) with grilled tofu, cilantro, and peach salsa.

The corn was awful! Not sweet at all. A few days before, we had some spectacular corn (the kind that makes you moan with every bite) from the SIW farm stand on Route 100 in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania (the corn is grown right there!), so this CSA corn was a big bummer.
The cherry tomatoes were sweet and perfect. They were doused with balsamic vinegar and tossed with basil.

We haven't even touched the potatoes, yet, and there are still tomatoes and cabbage left. As much as I love getting fresh produce every week, I'd love a one week reprieve just so I can get through it all without feeling that I need to can or freeze produce so as not to let it go to waste.

How did you use your CSA or farmers' market haul?

No comments:

Post a Comment