Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Found...Veggie Hot Dog Street Vendor

I once asked my seemingly understanding, local hot dog street vendor if she would consider selling veggie hot dogs. She looked up from her knitting and scowled, “That’s a novel idea.”

From that moment on – about 10 years ago - I’ve been on a quest to find a street vendor peddling veggie hot dogs. I never researched or specifically hunted for a vendor, but made a point to check any vendor that I passed.

How novel could this idea be? I thought for sure there would be a veggie hot dog street vendor in New York city. How could there not be…millions of people and corners to park a cart? Nope. I did not find one in my wanderings of NY.

After more than a decade with this novel idea rattling in the back of my head, by some silly chance I found a veggie hot dog street vendor in Lawrence, Kansas, of all places! Actually, it was a veggie bratwurst, but that’s close enough

I was so ecstatic, I sat down and chatted with the vendor and told him how he had made one of my dreams come true. I’m sure he talks to lots of freaks.

Sadly, he told me that selling the veggie brats is not lucrative for him. Some days no one is interested and he throws them out with the dog water. Other days, he sells out and disappoints potential customers when he has no more to offer.

Even though I wasn’t hungry, I ordered my long sought after veggie hot dog. Thank you Mr. Hot-dog-vendor-on-Massachusetts-St.-in-Lawrence. I forget his name, but I won’t forget his help in the realization of my novel idea.

Now if that dreams-do-come-true story doesn’t stop you from killing yourself, I don’t know what kind of hope there is.

If you know of any veggie hot dog street vendors, let me know.

Keep the dream alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment