Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Passion Fruit Mojito

Photo by A30_Tsitika
My birthday is a few days away and I’m depressed. Not because I’m getting older – I still rock it! – but because my birthday sucks in the Northeast. I’m used to it being warm, having azaleas in bloom and leaves on the trees. You know, spring!

But this has not been the case for the past 4 years since I’ve left warmer climes. It’s really miserable having my birthday when it’s cold outside. I just want to jump up and down, have a fit and pout about it.

Since I’m not moving someplace warm in the next few days, I’m going to pretend it’s warm and have a mojito. Come drink the cold and my pain away with me.

Passion Fruit Mojito
Makes one drink

sugar
water
2 oz. light rum
1 oz. Passion fruit juice (more if you like it more tart)
1 oz. simple syrup
1 lime
mint leaves (4 or so sprigs)
crushed ice
chilled lemon-lime flavored club soda
tall glass
spoon

  • Make simple syrup: Heat equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan until just before boiling and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved
  • Place the mint leaves and 1 oz. of the simple syrup (cooled) in the glass, then squish it all around with a spoon to release the oils. Leave the mint in the glass.
  • Pour in the rum and passion fruit juice and stir.
  • Add plenty of ice, then top off the mixture with lemon-lime flavored club soda.
  • Garnish with a sprig of mint and a lime wedge and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment