Thursday, March 16, 2006

Tempeh Salad

One of the only meat dishes I crave is chicken salad. I like my chicken salad with lots of pepper and celery. The tiny containers of vegetarian chicken salad are way too expensive, so I usually grate seitan to make my own.

I’ve never made a veggie chicken salad with tempeh, but I saw this the other day and decided to give it a go since I already had a fresh baked olive roll from Fork:etc. The olive roll, by the way, was perfect - crusty on the outside, soft in the middle and had large hunks of olives.

Tempeh Salad
adapted from Yoga Kitchen: Recipes from the Shoshoni Yoga Retreat
serves 4

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
4 cups cubed tempeh(the smaller you dice the tempeh, the better it stays on the roll)
3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
1 to 2 cups mayonnaise (regular or vegan)
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
salt and pepper

  • Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the tempeh and fry until golden. Sprinkle the Bragg Liquid Aminos over the tempeh and sauté for 1 minute longer.
  • Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the mayonnaise, scallions, bell peppers, carrots, celery, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. (I also added garlic powder and lemon juice to make it a little zippier.) Mix thoroughly.
  • Let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving. Use more or less mayonnaise depending on your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment