Tuesday, April 4, 2006

I'm Gonna Eat London!

Photo by alalsacienne
I'm so excited! I booked my ticket to London for a two week stay this summer. I'm not sure what's on the agenda yet, but I'm looking forward to trolling the aisles of the supermarkets - Waitrose, Sainsbury, Budgens, etc.

I caught 28 Days Later - an excellent zombie movie, and I'm not a zombie fan - on TV the other day. The scene where the four heroes loot a Budgens market reminded me of all the fun I had going up and down the aisles of the grocery stores in the UK. I was there a few years ago on a whirlwind tour of gardens - woo, school was rough.

I found that the UK has the best pre-made sandwiches that you can grab from coolers at markets and convenience stores. I would never do such a thing in the US. Many times I would eat from the grocery instead of going to a restaurant. They do lovely things like put watercress on sandwiches! I also love eating the curry flavored snacks and the foreign candy. I generally just enjoy looking at foods I've never seen.

Hopefully I'll be able to report on my feedings and finds. What I don't care to find myself feeding on is a full English breakfast. English cooking manages to be both simultaneously dull and foul. Stick to the markets.

Now, if I could just find someone to pay me to travel and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment