Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Matzo Ball Soup

Passover is still going on, which means All Things Matzo!

I’m usually curious about food on the ethnic aisle at the grocery store, but I must say that the boring Manischewitz packaging and the jars of testicular-looking gefilte fish in the Jewish section have kept me moving along with my buggy.

Sometimes it helps to have someone open you up new experiences, as is the case with matzo ball soup. I tried it for the first time last year and fell in love with it.

It’s a very simple soup – matzo dumplings in a soup broth. What I love about the soup is the texture of the balls. They are light and spongy and lots of fun to put in your mouth and squish.

Follow the recipe on the box and perfectly light and spongy floaters result. I’m not sure how some people get theirs to be dense, heavy sinkers. Every body has a preference– floaters or sinkers.

So, grab a box of matzo ball soup and try it if you've never done so. Just shield your eyes from the jars of gefilte fish as you reach for the box.

To get you through the week here's a hip-hop matzo song.

No comments:

Post a Comment