Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I Try Food From Other Bloggers

I tried another cupcake from Chockylit – the Samoa inspired cupcake. It was to die for, but never again!

I started in the kitchen around 11 a.m. and figured I’d be there at least until 3 p.m. I was there until 6 p.m. Some of this time was used to make Jell-O shots in orange wedges that I saw at NotMartha, but that task was cake, unlike the cupcakes.

I decided to make miniature cupcakes since the calorie count was out of this world for one regular size cupcake. Miniatures also worked well for the weekend cookout. The batter goes farther so more people can partake.

Working in miniature tries my patience. Instead of assembling twelve cupcakes, I had to assemble about fifty cupcakes – in miniature.

The recipe calls for four different components: cake batter, caramel, ganache, and coconut topping. All of the components turned out well, but save time by skipping the caramel.

You’re instructed to cut a cone from the cupcake – again, lots of fun in miniature! – and fill with caramel. By the time you eat the cupcake, the cake has absorbed the caramel. So, the cake is just a little sweeter. No gooey caramel center like I was hoping to bite into.

The coconut topping is similar to icing on a German chocolate cake, and ganache is ganache. Everyone loved the cupcakes, but never made the connection to Samoas® until I told them that the Girl Scout cookie was the inspiration.

The cupcakes were phenomenal; don’t get me wrong. The caramel and coconut topping were so yummy. I had tons left over, but immediately trashed them so as not to keep sticking my finger in the bowls.

The Jell-o® shots were a smashing hit. Every one loved how they could easily get the shot out of the orange wedge by popping the wedge in front of their teeth and chomping down. Apparently Jell-o shots don’t come out of the traditional paper cup too easily.

So, thank you food bloggers for sharing your ideas and experiences. You’re more creative than most cookbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment