Saturday, May 13, 2006

Vosges Exotic Truffles

Well, I went with chocolate for Mother’s Day. Who doesn’t love chocolate? Chocolate truly makes me happy, and hopefully my mother, too.

I tell every one I date, that if you want to make me happy, give me a box of chocolate. It’s cliché, but being a non-cliché girl, you wouldn’t believe how few boxes of chocolate and bouquets of flowers I get. I’ve only gotten one bouquet of flowers in my 31 years of living!

This year I did something a little different than the standard Godiva Chocolate. I ordered my mom a box of Vosges Exotic Truffles. These truffles are supposed to have “worldly inspiration.” Chocolate is combined with spices and ingredients commonly associated with worldly cuisine, but not necessarily chocolate. For example: curry, paprika, fennel, and wasabi. It’s a trip around the world!

Along with my mother’s order, I had to order myself a small box (9 pieces for $23 before shipping) to taste them for myself. Plus, I do love myself even if I’m not a mother. Some will be happy about that fact. (Hi M_ _ _.)

How were they?

Chocolate rocks. Period.

I would love to get these as a gift. I found myself taking more time to savor the truffles than I would an ordinary box of truffles. It took me two whole days to eat the box, which is a looong time for me. The first day I ate two pieces. The second day I had two pieces for breakfast and five pieces with my Friday afternoon bottle of wine.

The instructions – yes, they came with instructions - say to first, read the story of the truffle to set the stage. Then, look at the truffle. Next, lick the top of the spice truffles as a teaser. Then, bite the truffle in two and savor the first bite. The second bite is for totally immersing yourself into the flavors and sensations.

Woo, that’s a lot to do. I did it, though.

My favorites were India influenced Naga with curry powder, Japanese influenced Black Pearl with ginger and wasabi, and Southern influenced Wink of the Rabbit with the classic combination of pecans, caramel, and chocolate.

Most of the truffles combined ingredients associated with countries that I found quite common and normally associated with chocolate. Italian influenced Gianduia used pralines, Australian influenced Wooloomooloo used macadamia nut, and Parisian influenced Chef Pascal used Kirsch.

It takes a lot to wow me flavor wise. That’s why I preferred the odder combinations. I wish they were a little wilder with their flavors, but I understand that many Americans think Chinese-American food is a little “out there.”

All in all, Vosges Chocolates makes a lovely gift. I hope Mom enjoyed it. I’ll call her Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment