Thursday, May 18, 2006

Papaya Salsa

What to do with half a papaya and left over BBQ tempeh?

Living by myself, I truly make some weird combos with leftovers. I’ll throw anything over pasta or put it in a wrap. I don’t have anyone’s taste buds to consider so all is fair game. I would be embarrassed to admit most of the combos I make when no one is around, but the one I made the other day can come out of the closet.

The vegetarian platter at La Cena in Downingtown, PA inspired me when looking into the fridge. La Cena is a great restaurant that serves Latin American food. The only problem is that I can eat only one dish and the restaurant is about an hour away in a podunk town. If cruising through Downingtown, La Cena is the place to stop. You can stop at Victory Brewing Company if you must, but don't eat there. Bring the beer to La Cena; it's BYOB.

Their vegetarian platter is a HUGE bowl of rice and beans topped with cheese, lots of lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and plantains. Very simple, but sooo good. I like the “salad” and salsa on top of the rice. I don’t know why I’ve never really eaten a salad on rice elsewhere. Great idea!

I turned the leftover papaya into salsa. I topped a bowl of rice with the leftover BBQ tempeh, lettuce, and the papaya salsa. It was very good. The juice from the salsa and the BBQ sauce flavors the rice. I like to think of my creation as a Caribbean interpretation of La Cena’s vegetarian platter.

Papaya Salsa
enough for one person or two small eaters

2-3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon honey
⅓ cup papaya, diced
1 plum tomato, diced
1 tablespoon sweet onion, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
hot pepper to taste, finely chopped
pinch of salt

  • Combine lime juice and honey. Briefly heating this mixture in the microwave for 10-15 seconds will help incorporate the honey.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
  • Refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment