Thursday, May 4, 2006

Lemon Bars












I made lemon bars for my boyfriend’s birthday. That was his request.

Now, I love lemon bars, but I don’t recall ever making them before. I had researched recipes, and decided on one from the Epicurious files. When it came time to make them, the site was experiencing a lot of traffic and the pages were taking about five minutes to load.

I have no patience for such things, so pulled out The Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. This book has every standard recipe in it and is a excellent source of basic recipes. If you're hankering for your aunt's famous dish, she probably got it from this book.

Their recipe was good, but not up to my standards. I wanted a little thicker crust, twice as much gooey lemon top, and tangy-er lemon flavor.

Soooo... I made a second batch with my own recipe that I modified from theirs. Theirs are enjoyable and you can eat many. Mine are enjoyable, but you can only eat one. (Theirs is to the left in the picture. Mine is to the right.)

How were they received?

Well, upon arriving home drunk, he did not want any.

“What?” I said incredulously.

I force-fed him a bite. He better eat this, god damn it!

He said, “Mmmm. The real deal!” Then passed out. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Just the response I was hoping for!!!???

Lemon Bars

7 ½ tablespoons butter or margerine
⅓ cup sugar
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 ½ cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
5 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
8 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon baking powder
powder sugar (optional)

  • Beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the 1/3 cup sugar; beat until combined. Beat in the 1/2 cup flour till crumbly. Press the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 8x8x2-inch pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden.
  • In another bowl, combine eggs, the 1 ½ cups sugar, 4 tablespoons flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and baking powder. Beat until combined.
  • Pour the filling over the baked layer. Bake 35 minutes more or until lightly browned around the edges and the center is set.
  • Cool on a rack. Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into bars. Best served chilled
ESSENTIAL TOOLS
Citrus Zester - I like the OXO lemon zester. OXO makes great tools
Lemon Juicer - I'm nostalgic, so won't give up my mother's glass lemon juicer. It's pretty and it's the one I used as a kid. The mexican lemon juicer is a sweet tool, though. It makes fast work of extracting juice and you don't have to pick the seeds out.

No comments:

Post a Comment