Monday, August 14, 2006

Canned Mac and Cheese

Curiosity got the better of me, so I purchased the can of Heinz macaroni and cheese that called to me from the shelves of Waitrose. I knew it couldn’t be good, but maybe it would surprise me and be not bad.

What was going to be in the can when I popped the lid off? Would it be fluorescent orange like mac and cheese from a box? Would it be gelatinously creamy like Velveeta? Oh my god, what if it looked like homemade and had real hunks of cheese! Wouldn’t I be sorry that I bought the small can?

I pulled back the pop-top lid with excited nonchalance to be greeted by elbow macaroni swimming in whitish, pale yellow, goopy sauce. So, it’s going to be more of a creamy Velveeta experience, I thought. The suspense was killing me, so I forwent the heating process and dove in with my fork.

My first flavor recognition was of metal! I have fond memories of the tinny taste that metal cans impart due to my love of Del Monte pudding that used to come in those little cans. Pudding now comes in plastic cups and just doesn’t taste the same.

Other than the metal taste, I’d have to say that the mac and cheese experience was rather bland. I can’t say it tasted like cheese and the texture of the sauce was like watered down cream of mushroom soup concentrate. This mac and cheese is comparable to hospital food or cafeteria food. I don't even think Heinz's suped-up recipe could save this product.

Yep, my pessimism served me well. I’m so glad I didn’t buy the big can. The only great thing about this product is that if you were stranded without a can opener or other tool, you can pop the top and not starve to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment