Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mayonnaise!

Unless you were tuned into NPR this weekend, you might be belated in wishing mayonnaise a happy birthday. In celebration of this vinegar, oil, and egg emulsion, I actually got a present in the mail!

A new, 32-ounce jar of Duke’s mayonnaise arrived on my porch this past Saturday. With only minor jeering from an ex boyfriend in South Carolina, I requested a jar of mayonnaise to restock my fridge. See, it is wise to remain friends with exes.

Let’s tally my mayo consumption for this year. I brought two 32 ounce jars home with me at the start of the year from my Christmas travels, my mom shipped me two 16 ounce jars this spring, and I’m currently working on the 32-ounce jar from my ex. That’s a total of 128 ounces, or 8 pounds of mayonnaise. I’m the only person in the house, so a “household” is not consuming this …and the year is not over yet!

I couldn’t find data on the average amount of mayonnaise consumed by one person in one year. I’m suspecting that I consume more than average. I did find sites praising and warning against the oils and fats in mayo. This site not so subtly hints that mayo makes you fat, but I’m proof that mayo does no such thing. I just eat the light version and go on with my merry, mayo-inclusive life.

Happy Belated Birthday, Mayo!
Love, Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment