Friday, March 16, 2007

My Kitchen

For the first time ever, I’m participating in a food blogging event, Peeking Behind Closed Doors. It’s not that I don’t like them (memes), it’s just that I don’t like to do what I’m told, when I’m told. And it’s not that I’m a procrastinator or a lazy lout, it’s that I’ve got a bit of a problem with authority. I like to do it my way. Maybe that’s why I’m self-employed.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve climbed out of my shell and have become a bit of an exhibitionist. Isn't that why many of us write blogs? So, I'm more than happy to bare all. I’m not going to show pictures of my feet (eww), but you can look at what’s behind my cupboards.

My counter space is tiny. These are all the cabinets I have. I’ve put up railing from Ikea to hang cups, my dollar store wine glasses(use when clumsy), and large cooking utensils that won’t fit in my two drawers. A cast iron skillet always sits on the stove and is my main cooking dish. If you look closely you can see a picture of me with my mom on the fridge. At 5’3”, I’m the tall one in the picture!

The other side of my kitchen looks like so. I collect folk art, and I luvs the kittahs. That plant is a recent purchase. He’s hanging out waiting for warmer weather, so he can chill on my back porch with wine in a $1 glass.

Behind door #1 we have glasses. They’re orderly, or else they would not fit. The second shelf has decent wine glasses. The top shelf has assorted Riedel wine glasses and butt-loads of champagne glasses, because my dad forgot he gave me a set as a gift, and gave me the same ones the next year. At least they match! He keeps me well stocked with wine accoutrements – and folk art.

Behind door #2 (the high cabinet) we have all the items that I rarely use. I can’t bring myself to throw away my Sanrio Keropi mug, so he’s stowed away. The funny thing is that even with the low cabinets, I have a hard time reaching things. My landlord hung the cabinets just a tad higher than norm. The bottom shelf is above my head, I have to get on my tip-toes to reach the second shelf, and the third shelf requires jumping up on the counter or using my step stool that I’ve had since I was a child.

Behind door #3 we have dishes. I have a set of mis-matched Fiestaware and a set of cheap dishes from the Asian Market. There’s another Sanrio bowl in there I can’t throw out, and a sushi platter a friend made from Redwood.

The fridge has more food in it than I am comfortable with. I like it bare, but it’s never that way. I always have 3 or 5 boxes of Ricedream. My condiments have outgrown the door and are now taking over the top shelf. For the record, I hate beer! Those are my boyfriend’s.

The pantry is a godsend if you don’t have a lot of cabinets. To the left of my fridge is a narrow pantry. Again, I’m uncomfortable with the amount of food in there. It makes me feel guilty about gluttonous consumption - food or otherwise. I’m always looking in there in amazement, and justifying all that food by telling myself that if hell broke loose, I’d at least have food to hold out for a couple of months. (Paranoid?)

I’ve hung a narrow shelf I found on the side of the road (I love trash piles.) on the pantry wall. It helped the clutter for about a month, then I just acquired more food.

I’ve even taken over the window sill in the pantry. I have a wicked sweet tooth and must have chocolate candy available at all times, or else I will combust. Those Trader Joe’s Chocolate Raspberry Sticks are always present; they're an instant shot of sugar to the system. I’ve got a butt-load of interesting Pocky flavors to review one day, the last of my Girl Scout cookies, and a bag of chocolate covered pretzels.

That's it. Except for pots, pans, trays, mixing bowls, cutting boards... They're stacked in the lower cabinets, with no room to spare. It's a royal pain in the ass to get the dish in the back, on the bottom. I'll spare you that picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment