Thursday, November 1, 2007

It's a Miracle

I’m really excited about the new plant that landed on my porch this afternoon snuggly packed in a cardboard box, because…
  1. Writing about this plant is much shorter than the other post I was prepared to write, and I’m draggin’ ass for some reason, and…
  2. *Jumping up and down* The plant is one of those Miracle Fruit plants that you've heard so much about berry makes sour foods taste sweet.

Synsepalum dulcificum has intrigued me since hearing about the magical berries on NPR. They sound like some candy drug-fantasy straight out of Willy Wonka, but they are for realz. Pop one in your mouth and lemon rinds are candy.

I ordered up my own plant from the trusted and reputable Logee’s Greenhouse. I had to wait a bit until they were back in stock at Logee’s, but there are other purveyors of the Miracle Plant to be found on the web.

A bigger pot, a wipe-off of the water-stained leaves, and a little fertilizer to bring the green back to the leaves, and my little guy should be happy. I’ve read conflicting reports about how long it takes to produce fruit, but check back in 1-10 years and I’ll give you a berry!

No comments:

Post a Comment