Sunday, December 16, 2007

Wild Chives & Rosemary

Update: no longer open.

I have passed Wild Chives and Rosemary, a corner lunch and breakfast spot in the mostly residential 40 Acres neighborhood of Wilmington, twice a week for the past two years. The sidewalk marquee advertising the daily specials of quiche and beef stroganoff make me yearn for the indulgence of actually taking the time out of the day to enjoy lunch. For two years, I have threatened to stop in and eat at WC&R.

I finally did it! But I’m afraid my two years of imagining what this corner eatery held only led to disappointment.

The corner store front, with plants in the windows, not to mention promises of quiche from a place with an herbal moniker, had me imaging a frilly, girly atmosphere inside. So, I was shocked to see a cluttered counter with a small open grill and prep area when I walked in the door.

The stark white walls sparsely decorated with photos of local landmarks high above anyone’s eye level didn’t convey any loving coziness. And the tables (except one picnic table taking up valuable floor space) were those cheap, fake wood veneer-topped tables with plastic edges you find in office break rooms. My inner amateur designer was screaming for the pictures to be lowered, a coat of colorful paint, and an eclectic assortment of antique tables to give the restaurant a cozy ambiance to reflect their name and location.

To top off the white wall and cheap table feeling of not caring, beverages were served in plastic Solo cups. Really!? The waste. The cheap image. This disturbed me to no end.

I read somewhere that WC&R’s salads were good, so decided to give one of the twelve salads on the menu a go. With so many salads to choose from such as the inventive curried chicken, salmon with avocado, tangerine and turkey, and classics like Caesar, nicoise, anti pasta, and chef salad, I got a little confused after reading all of the descriptions in an attempt to narrow my selection down.

I ended up ordering the wrong salad. I ordered the mild mediterannean salad with oven baked herb tomatoes, leeks, feta cheese, black olives, cucumber, and croutons with house-made herb vinaigrette thinking that there were chic peas on the salad. The whole time I kept wondering where the chick peas were. The chick peas were on the nicoise salad. Doh!

This is not a salad at a fine dining establishment, but a salad you eat as an excuse to escape from the office. The salad was large enough to be the proper lunch staple large salad. With twelve salads to choose from, including the option to make your own salad from a list of ingredients, I’m sure you can find a favorite.

After years of dreaming of quiche, I had to try a piece. I ordered a piece of spinach quiche to go for dinner. While I was at it, I took the servers dessert suggestion and ordered apple crisp for dinner, as well.

I enjoyed the spinach quiche with hints of sweet nutmeg that evening. Good, but again I think my fantasies of dainty dining unfairly built up my expectations for something grander.

The apple crisp was good in that homey, buttery, cinnamony, apple way, but there was no crisp to it at all. (I checked this upon immediately walking home. It did not sit for hours.) This was apple pie filling in a cup.

The soup, salad, and sandwich offerings, including the quiche specials, are classic lunch fare – nothing out or the ordinary. WC&R is just a reliable lunch spot, and an excuse to not stay in the office. WC&R is, food-wise, exactly the kind of place I would meet my mother for lunch once a month when she was not retired.

Well, Wild Chives and Rosemary has been marked off my list. I don’t know if I’ll ever do it again. If they ever put some love into the interior and 86 the Solo cups, let me know.


Wild Chives & Rosemary, 1836 Lovering Ave, Wilmington, DE, 19806
302-655-1190
Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sat., 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sun., closed

No comments:

Post a Comment