Thursday, January 31, 2008

Curry Veggie Burgers

My last attempt at making veggie burgers was also my first attempt – and my first experience with tofu. I was 14 and a vegetarian newbie, so I turned to Fantastic Foods' veggie burger mix on aisle two of the health food store. I don’t know anyone who has been successful with tofu on the first go round, and my first try was dreadful. Removing moisture from tofu is paramount to many recipes, but I didn’t know that at this time.

The recipe for veggie burgers in The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, a recent Christmas present, doesn’t use tofu, but, again, removing moisture from the bulgur wheat, lentils and cooked vegetables that go into the burger is crucial.

I did as the recipe said, and my mix was still too moist. I added more bread crumbs, and when I ran out of bread crumbs, I added flour until I thought the patties were firm enough.

I fried the patties as instructed. I baked another batch of patties. I enjoyed the baked patties better – less oil and the baking took away some of the moisture from the patties.

The flavor of the patties is mushroomy-meaty, but I thought they needed more kick. I added more garlic than the recipe called for, and also added curry powder and cumin, making them curry burgers.

They say you can freeze the uncooked patties for later, but I just ate them all this past week!

Curry Veggie Burgers
Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
makes about 12 patties

2 cups water
salt
¾ cup bulgur wheat
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
2 onions, minced
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 large leek, white and light green parts finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 (15-ounce) can brown lentils, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews, finely chopped
1/3 cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayo)
pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons cumin
¾ cup breadcrumbs (more if needed)

  • Bring water and pinch of salt to a boil in a saucepan, remove from heat, stir in bulgur, cover, and let stand 15-20 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh strainer, and press excess moisture using a spatula. Set aside.
  • Add mushrooms, onions, celery, leek, garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, and ½ teaspoon salt in a large skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
  • Uncover vegetables, turn up heat, and cook until liquid has evaporated. Spread vegetables out on a baking sheet to cool.
  • Combine the bulgur, vegetables, lentils, cashews, mayonnaise, pepper, curry powder, and cumin. Pulse half the mixture in the food processor 15-20 pulses, and transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with other half. Stir in breadcrumbs. If mixture is too tacky, add more breadcrumbs, so you can handle the mixture.
  • Form into ½-inch-thick patties, and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350°for 30 minutes, flipping patties at the half way point.

No comments:

Post a Comment