Wednesday, March 26, 2008

More Jerusalem Artichokes

You may be asking, “What do I do with Jerusalem artichokes if I’m not into the long, labored task of making relish and pickles.” You also may be asking me to get over it. I promise this is the last post (at least any time soon) about these crunchy tubers.

If Jerusalem artichokes aren’t pickled and relish-ified, I like them best fresh, sliced thinly in a salad. Think water chestnut or jicama. Crunch!

Roasted is tasty, too. Toss with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at 450° for 20-40 minutes. This softens the tuber and imparts a toasty, nutty flavor. Think warm hugs...from a tuber.

If feeling silly, you can make Jerusalem artichoke chips. Silly, because the chips are about the size of a quarter – or half dollar, if you’re lucky. Break out the Fry Daddy, and season as you like. This preparation is not worth it, in my opinion, but I’m not a chip eater. Think twice.

Soup is also popular, but I ran out of tubers. Think next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment